Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: Jail Time for Honeypots?

From: "yannick san" <yannicksan () free fr>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 11:00:18 +0200

As far as I know access control could be a little bit different...
The problem is not only regulary analysing the file but beeing able to trace
employers...
I'm completly agree that tracing employers is forbidden but if we're not
able to reconize employers in the files, where is the problem ? I mean, if
employers can only be traced as numbers and not by their names... and if we
need a special clearance (in case of a security event for exemple) to
translate the numbers by names ?
In cctv systems it's more complicated because here we have the face.. and
here I'm agree that we must not see the pictures without any security
reasons.
About security banners, according to the law I'm agree that they must be
visible. It's true for cctv, it is true any equipements. Exemple : try to
log in to an equipement and a message appear to tell you that this
equipement is the property of xxx and every command passed is analysed...
But do you think we should write something like "...an honeypot is used..."
somewhere ?? We write that any commands is analysed but we also don't write
that we implemented intrusion detection too.
So, as I'm concerned, cctv systems and honeypots are not so similar problem.
Please, correct me if I'm wrong.

Yannick
Information Security Engineer