Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: Jail Time for Honeypots?

From: "Fernando Martins" <fernando.martins () esoterica pt>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 19:01:07 +0100

Then again in other areas, if you are in the "public eye", that is to say,
out in public, you can be filmed at will.  As long as it is not
distributed
as a "commerical production" and even then, if the person complaining was
not the main focus of the event, they have no case.

May be the fault is on my poor english skillz ... but you got it all wrong.
If one is out in public area it's illegal to film/monitor, unless by the
police or special service, never by "civilians".
And only if there is an event/intrusion/crime the recorded images can be
seen.
And as several guys here sugested, a warning banner must be visible in
monitored places.
All of these in Portugal, and many other places in Europe.

I'll not discuss here the design of closed or open surveillance systems,
this is not the forum for it.
But the implications of this can be for example inside a bank, where as 'we
speak' most of banks in Portugal are not respecting the law regarding cctv
systems.
Most of the companies (probably all less one, as far as I know) by the same
law, are also illegal regarding access control systems.
I was not thinking in me walking the dog at the park ... that's not my field
and I don't have a dog :>

My point was just 'put on the table' a known, and covered by law, issue to
somehow clarify what can be important as legal issues regarding
honeypots/nets.
Also to point out that laws from several countries can be involved, while in
cctv systems that is not the case.

FM