funsec mailing list archives

Re: predictions

From: Dan Kaminsky <dan () doxpara com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 19:02:16 -0500

On Jan 15, 2010, at 6:14 PM, Nick FitzGerald <nick@virus-
l.demon.co.uk> wrote:

Dan Kaminsky to me:

To the extent that predicting "more of the same" is prescient,
yes...

Nobody is surprised by the attack. Everybody is surprised by there
actually being consequences -- against a state interest, no less.

That's funny -- "everybody"...

Oh,wait, I see -- you were making your post relevant to the list
charter!

Of course there were consequences and no-one worth knowing would be
surprised by any of this.

The only thing I find at all surprising is that anyone actually thinks
this is particularly newsworthy -- such attacks by the Chinese are far
from new and anyone worth knowing already knows how generally
incompetent corporate and government institutions are at (proactive)
IT
security...

What do you mean, of course there were consequences?  This is The
Internet, The Land Without Consequences!

Major corporations under attack?  Of course. Chinese hackers?  Sure,
why not.  Consequences?  Against a state interest?  With the Secretary
of State of the United States of America backing up those consequences?

WOT?!

Show me a single 2010 prediction list *that* showed up on. Certainly
wasn't on mine (unless you want to count it as an 'old and hoary
prediction', but that's cheating).

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald