funsec mailing list archives

Re: predictions

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2010 12:14:55 +1300

Dan Kaminsky to me:

To the extent that predicting "more of the same" is prescient, yes...

Nobody is surprised by the attack. Everybody is surprised by there
actually being consequences -- against a state interest, no less.

That's funny -- "everybody"...

Oh,wait, I see -- you were making your post relevant to the list
charter!

Of course there were consequences and no-one worth knowing would be
surprised by any of this.

The only thing I find at all surprising is that anyone actually thinks
this is particularly newsworthy -- such attacks by the Chinese are far
from new and anyone worth knowing already knows how generally
incompetent corporate and government institutions are at (proactive) IT
security...

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald