funsec mailing list archives

Re: mac is not unix [Re: What was that about hubris?]

From: Joel Esler <eslerj () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2009 20:53:59 -0400

On Sun, Oct 4, 2009 at 10:33 AM, der Mouse <mouse () rodents-montreal org>wrote:

[Paul M. Moriarty]
[...] a Mac is a UNIX box with a great GUI that [...]
You left off the part where I said:
"Yeah, yeah, nitpick about Mach, blah, blah, blah..."

I don't find it to be nitpicking.

For what I do with it, the mac is UNIX-like enough for me.

...which is the key here.  For someone of whom that's true, it may look
like nitpicking, because, for such a person, it is, nitpicking here
being the drawing of irrelevant distinctions, and such a person finds
those distinctions irrelevant.  For anyone who scratches beyond the
surface, the situation is very different: I, for example, lost most of
an afternoon to one of the sysadmin-POV ways Mac OS X "is not Unix",
which makes it hard for me to consider the distinction irrelevant.

I switched from Linux to OSX about the 2003 timeframe.  Exactly as Paul says
in an earlier thread, it allowed me to do things like "not worry about the
GUI and system I was working with and actually WORK"  I used to spend hours
fiddling with my Linux (or Windows if you go back far enough) installation.
 Especially fiddling with my Linux installation to get it to coexist in an
AD environment where I used to work.

I used OSX at home for two years before I was able to make the complete
switch in 05 when I came to work for Sourcefire.  Now I use nothing but OSX
and I am a happy guy.

99.9% of what I want to achieve on a "unix" basis (notice the quotes) I am
able to achieve on OSX.  I am happy with not having to recompile WM or
whatever I was using at the time.

Do I still run Linux?  Yes.  As a server for a couple things, in the
basement.  But all my desktops are OSX.