funsec mailing list archives

Re: mac is not unix [Re: What was that about hubris?]

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Fri, 02 Oct 2009 11:27:46 -0400

On Fri, 02 Oct 2009 16:25:35 +0200, Gadi Evron said:
der Mouse wrote:
"An operating system" in general may or may not be [split into
core, GUI, and CLI]; indeed, plenty of operating systems do not
have anything at all that could reasonably be called a GUI, much
less structure like what you sketch.
1) Either convince me that Cisco's IOS and Juniper's JunOS are in
fact *not* operating systems, or point out to me how they're split
into a core, a CLI, and a GUI.

You don't need to go even that far.  Just consider NetBSD (or Linux, or
whatever) on hardware without a GUI-capable framebuffer - or, if that's
not enough, on hardware which can't be given one (I've got a board from
Mesanet on which it would be difficult-to-impossible to add GUI-capable
hardware).

We're talking about Mac here, right?

No, the original quote was "an operating system is build of...", not
"OSX is built of".