funsec mailing list archives

Re: mac is not unix [Re: What was that about hubris?]

From: der Mouse <mouse () rodents-montreal org>
Date: Sun, 4 Oct 2009 10:33:44 -0400 (EDT)

[Paul M. Moriarty]
[...] a Mac is a UNIX box with a great GUI that [...]
You left off the part where I said:
"Yeah, yeah, nitpick about Mach, blah, blah, blah..."

I don't find it to be nitpicking.

For what I do with it, the mac is UNIX-like enough for me.

...which is the key here.  For someone of whom that's true, it may look
like nitpicking, because, for such a person, it is, nitpicking here
being the drawing of irrelevant distinctions, and such a person finds
those distinctions irrelevant.  For anyone who scratches beyond the
surface, the situation is very different: I, for example, lost most of
an afternoon to one of the sysadmin-POV ways Mac OS X "is not Unix",
which makes it hard for me to consider the distinction irrelevant.

\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML                mouse () rodents-montreal org