funsec mailing list archives

artifical stupidity (was: "File server blew up over the weekend. ...")

From: Martin Tomasek <tomasek () ufe cz>
Date: Mon, 05 Oct 2009 22:56:27 +0200

Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu napsal(a):
Apparently, the bar for passing the Turing Test is a lot lower than we thought.

It is even lower. Friend of mine wrote interface between one web chat
server and megahal (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MegaHAL). People kept
talking to it for a long time.. So megahal passed turing test years ago. :-)

At that moment I considered founding new field of artifical stupidity.
It is much easier to solve this than AI. Just imagine it: speech
generator, insult generator (megahal can do this if trained properly),
or scientific article generator (someone actually wrote generator of CS
articles afaik).

BTW, there is program designed to produce stupid texts: dadadodo
(http://www.jwz.org/dadadodo/). "The theory here is that, with a large
enough corpus, the generated sentences will tend to be grammatically
correct, but semantically random: exterminate all rational thought.".

--
Martin Tomasek