funsec mailing list archives

Re: mac is not unix [Re: What was that about hubris?]

From: der Mouse <mouse () rodents-montreal org>
Date: Sat, 3 Oct 2009 20:49:24 -0400 (EDT)

I'd argue with your "very nice guy" a little even for OS X, though,
since there is a substantial amount of Unix basing in the libc
layer, which is used by much more than just the CLI; of the three
components listed, it would have to be part of the core.
What percentage of the core would you consider to be open source?

I don't know.  There are two reasons for this.  (1) It depends on where
you draw the line that bounds "the core".  I don't consider the
"core/GUI/CLI" breakup a particularly useful one, so asking me to draw
it is unlikely to produce very useful results.  (There are pieces, such
as libc, that I would separate out as not really belonging to any of
those three portions.)  (2) I don't know enough about how much of OS X
is open sourced anyway to answer that even if I had a clear and useful
definition of "the core".

Indeed, "open source" is one of those fuzzy terms that has almost as
many definitions as there are people using it (though it's better than
"free software", at least) - while there are some things that
practically everyone agrees on, it's hard to find any two people that
totally agree on where to draw the boundary lines, and indeed some
people draw the line at different places in different contexts.

Guessing based on what little I've heard about Darwin and what's been
said in this thread, I would guess that all, or at least almost all, of
"the core" is "open source", for most likely values of "the core" and
"open source".

\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML                mouse () rodents-montreal org