funsec mailing list archives

Re: mac is not unix [Re: What was that about hubris?]

From: der Mouse <mouse () rodents-montreal org>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2009 22:25:40 -0400 (EDT)

"An operating system" in general may or may not be [split into
core, GUI, and CLI]; [...]
You don't need to go even that far.  Just consider NetBSD (or Linux,
or whatever) on hardware without a GUI-capable framebuffer - [...]
We're talking about Mac here, right?

I, at least, wasn't.

The original history was

[Paul M. Moriarty]
[...] a Mac is a UNIX box with a great GUI that [...]
[Gadi]
But as it was explained to me by a very nice guy, an operating
system is built of three components.  The core, the GUI and the
command interface.  Of all these, only the last is Unix-based.

to which I replied

Well, I do believe Mac OS X is built along those lines.  "An
operating system" in general may or may not be; [...]

It's true there was a certain amount of "under OS X" context for what
you wrote, since the last sentence is obviously false for many non-OSX
OSes for which the first is true (consider, eg, System 7 for 68k Macs).
I read that context as applying to only that last sentence, and my "in
general" was at least partly an attempt to make that explicit;
apparently I wasn't explicit enough to make my meaning clear.

I'd argue with your "very nice guy" a little even for OS X, though,
since there is a substantial amount of Unix basing in the libc layer,
which is used by much more than just the CLI; of the three components
listed, it would have to be part of the core.

\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML                mouse () rodents-montreal org