funsec mailing list archives

Re: Tweet This: I Don't Care

From: nick hatch <nicholas.hatch () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 22:47:37 -0700

Let's not forget that Twitter as a medium is distinct from those who choose
to use it.

As a medium, it is naively mobile, cross-platform, lightweight, and
encourages people to be terse (but frequent) in their responses. At its
core, the way one follows others by subscribing to their updates has
somewhat unique side-effects because there is only so much a user can do to
segment syndication. It's fundamentally a bit strange, which I think is
neat.

Like all other human-created mediums, it'll either be useful, adapt, or die.
Expect it to have a cultural influence in the meantime. Read more Marshall
McLuhan if this isn't hitting home.

Those who choose to use it can be annoying as hell. I don't normally watch
US cable news, but I caught a few hours last week and hearing anchors
stumble around with their new internet toy brought me back to '96 or so when
similar stories on the web were similarly painful.

-Nick