funsec mailing list archives

Re: Tweet This: I Don't Care

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 16:57:49 +1300

Gadi to Rob Slade:

The thing is, that every Twittler or LinkeDin, or FaceOffBook doesn't really help
with communication, it fragments it.  Now there is a new site to register with, and
a new technology to learn, and, in the meantime, our field, and the exploits and
vulnerabilities we need to keep up with, are racing by faster than we can cope with

Yeah, progress is a pain. :)

Last I looked, for there to be "progress" something more than just change
has to occur...

Twitter is really just "group SMS'ing on the web" and offers nothing
apparently useful that could not already be done other ways (except
without the 140 character limit).

It seems to be a classic example of a solution looking for a problem and
is currently being flash-mobbed (mainly) by the generation that thinks
change for the sake of change is cool/useful/fun/something...

I'm reminded of a scene from some comedy program (Seinfeld??) where one
of the main protagonists is waiting somewhere for something (I forget and
it doesn't matter here) and the guy standing next to him is pitching his
new "just ten minutes a day" exercise regime.  Main protagonist expresses
some interest in this "invention" but after having it explained, goes all
quiet and thoughtful for a few moments then says something like "Aren't
you worried though?"  The exercise scheme guy starts to look worried and
says, nervously, "No.  Why?"  "Well, this is clearly better than those 15-
minute workouts, but what about the guy who comes along with the seven-
minute workout?"...

Twitter should watch out for the 70-char micro-blog...

8-)

Seriously though -- isn't it hideous not even being able to enter a
decent URL?

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald