funsec mailing list archives

Re: Tweet This: I Don't Care

From: Donal <irldexter () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 19:00:29 +1100

Am with Gadi here.

Twitter is IRC on web steroids.
Twitter allows me to connect *others* quickly.
Twitter is weeded and preened so that:
a) I only get tech news/links/interesting updates/observations
(generally peeps with links better++)
b) I can disseminate info quickly
c) I become part of new physical commnunities locally #hashtags
d) I keep under/around Dunbars number  ~150

Social networking is web or end system Multicast only with arbitrary
and sticky groups/topics. Memes can and do spread quickly. Trick is to
follow those and be followed by those with purpose. Information
pollution is all around us. Twitter takes time. Most of us leave the
boneheads to form groups around themselves.

It's kinda like Hitchikers where the engineers and contributing
members of the community go one way and the fluff is sent to another
planet, albeit both spaceships use the same engine technology.

Donal