funsec mailing list archives

Re: Tweet This: I Don't Care

From: nick hatch <nicholas.hatch () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 23:15:21 -0700

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 8:57 PM, Nick FitzGerald
<nick () virus-l demon co uk>wrote:

Twitter is really just "group SMS'ing on the web" and offers nothing
apparently useful that could not already be done other ways (except
without the 140 character limit).

I beg to differ. Group SMSing on the web is offered by the service Tatango
and many others. Twitter offers a much different service (public APIs,
dozens of clients, social network integration, hundreds tinkering with it),
and the fact that everyone here has heard of Twitter as opposed to Tatango
illustrates this nicely.

Sure, mobile many-to-many communications could be done other ways, and as
the limits of twitter show I wouldn't be surprised if people switch to
something else which are more robust and fit future "needs". (Something
based in XMPP, perhaps?)

Twitter is insanely popular, but it's also useless and redundant? I find
this hard to believe without a big helping of non sequitur.

-Nick