funsec mailing list archives

Re: WHOIS Privacy Stalemate... Again

From: "Dude VanWinkle" <dudevanwinkle () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 08:57:47 -0400

On 8/22/07, Larry Seltzer <Larry () larryseltzer com> wrote:
I'm in favor of accurate data being available in the WHOIS database(s)
myself.

For everyone who feels this way, does it bother you that this
information becomes easy to harvest for e-mail and postal mail spamming
and scamming? Do you have any suggestions to address that problem?

Why not take out the programmatic side of whois and make it something
only humans have access to? Have a screenshot of their email address,
and a CAPTCHA to get to it.

When was the last time you needed 50,000 registrar's information
immediately anyways?

Saying I can buy a P.O. box doesn't impress me and a special e-mail box
is an even worse solution: you have to pay attention to the contents
because you can lose your domain by blowing off mail in it,  but nearly
everything in it will be spam.

Buying a P.O box means more money, which is not usually a good
solution, or even a possible one for some.

-JP<realizing he just said we should take programmatic functionality
away from a service on a tech mailing list; ducks and runs>