funsec mailing list archives

RE: WHOIS Privacy Stalemate... Again

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 13:41:39 +1200

Larry Seltzer wrote:

I'm in favor of accurate data being available in the WHOIS database(s)
myself.

For everyone who feels this way, does it bother you that this
information becomes easy to harvest for e-mail and postal mail spamming
and scamming?  ...

For everyone who feels as you obviously do, does it bother you that
your dumb-as-dirt relatives, colleagues, business partners, etc expose
your Email address and other information they ma collected about you to
the worlds bot-herders on a regular basis?

...  Do you have any suggestions to address that problem?

Do you have any suggestions to address the problem I just outlined?

A hint -- your loathing of imposing a skerrick of responisbility on
domain "owners" makes fixing lots and lots of those _bigger_ problems
soemwhere between "a great deal" and "infinitely" more difficult.

Saying I can buy a P.O. box doesn't impress me and a special e-mail box
is an even worse solution: you have to pay attention to the contents
because you can lose your domain by blowing off mail in it,  but nearly
everything in it will be spam.

So scrap that vanity domain -- you're clearly far too effete to run it.

The "wrapped up in cottonwool so you don't have to persoanlly worry too
much about anything" model didn't really work or you'd still be tooling
around on AOL _and_ AOL would still be AOL...

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald