funsec mailing list archives

RE: WHOIS Privacy Stalemate... Again

From: Andy Sutton <newslists () pessimists net>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 08:18:51 -0500

On Thu, 2007-08-23 at 14:54 +1200, Nick FitzGerald wrote:
You've clearly never worked real, susttained abuse rporting...

The problem isn't with the Whois information, which is a poor way to
identify a domain owner - and always will be for obvious reasons.  The
issue is that netblock owners and domain registrars don't have adequate
processes (or any real incentives) to handle abuse complaints.  This
isn't about pinning down a website to Susy Brown, but about cleaning up
the 'net.

Identity has little to do with it unless you are actually LE.  However,
they have additional tools in their toolbox to deal with this issue.
Sub-LE is a do what you can, and forward to LE what you can't do,
proposition for very good reasons.

I get the privacy aspects, and I do think they are a real concern in
today's era of tracking everything under the sun.  (If that makes me
part of the tin-foil club, so be it.)  However there are alternatives
that do not require expensive, time consuming, and ultimately futile
Identity verification and re-certification processes to be put in place.

Relying on some unattainable method of ensuring 100% positive identity
is a total distraction from abuse handling.
--
- Andy

The test of courage comes when we are in the minority. The test of
tolerance comes when we are in the majority.
  - Ralph W. Sockman