funsec mailing list archives

Re: Boy, 10, gets locked in gun safe at Sam's Club

From: "Brian Loe" <knobdy () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 14:00:04 -0500

On 8/14/07, Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu <Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu> wrote:
Except the one *you* made:
<SNIP>
You want to drag in references to things not mentioned in the article, expect
to be asked where they came from...

I was being facetious, silly. I believe the mother SHOULD have
received a ticket since SHE was the one that screwed up. I didn't
think I would need to explain that. And is there a ticket you can get
for being a bad parent? I wasn't aware of one but, hey, who knows. If
there are they're used far too sparingly.

I have two children who are not allowed to "run off". How many
children do you have and how often do they "run off"?

The question isn't how well behaved *my* kids are, but what people who have
to deal with *other* people's kids should accept as reality.  Yes, *your*
kids may be "stand at military attention and speak only when directy addressed".

Right. Because it takes a village to raise a child. !!!!! Holy crap
dude, I'm the only one responsible for my children and their actions,
NO ONE ELSE. If your kid breaks my windows playing baseball, for
instance, I'm not going to take my issue to him, I'm going to take it
to YOU - the Parent. My job is not to be responsible for the world's
kids, only my own.

But the store manager has to allow for the fact that there are *many* different
parenting styles and not all of the kids that come into the store will be
perfectly behaved.

This is why black children often do so poorly in school. You keep
playing to the lowest common denominator - I'll maintain my hope for
the human race.

Let me ask you, is that manager supposed to allow for a certain amount
of damage done to his store by maladjusted teens? I mean, is the
manager/store supposed to pay for product that some kid breaks? Is he
suppose to "allow for" that kind of incident and budget accordingly? I
think not. If one of my kids breaks something in a store I fully
expect to be responsible for paying for it. I suppose you'd whine that
the store was irresponsible for leaving products within 6 feet of any
child's reach?

And this is the problem with the legal system these days. People like
you gave us the warning signs on everything from folding ladders to
McDonald's coffee. Excuse me if I find my intelligence insulted by
such things - and feel sorry for the company, not the idiot who won a
lawsuit for being stupid.

Given the number of people who look at that McDonald's suit and ask "Geez,
how much damage can a cup of coffee do that she's entitled to all that money?"
a lot of people *don't* realize the severe burn hazard associated with water
at that temperature.

The average person will say "Well, yeah, it's *hot*". They realize that it
can probably cause a first degree burn.  Most people don't realize it can even
cause 3rd degree burns.

I had no doubt you would defend such warnings.

As for harm, I have no doubt this boy is now scarred for life emotionally.

So what?  He learned his lesson, and won't do it again. By your standpoint,
that's OK, because we didn't make anybody have to look out for that kid
except the parents.

Uhgg... 1) What's my "standpoint"? 2) I'm NOT going to spell this out
for you. I would suggest you re-read my comments in the context of
what they're a response to. Then try reading it with the idea that I
might be injecting some amount of levity into the discussion.

Yeah, no brainer. Just what I want on my safe - any safe - the ability
to simply pull on the handle and have it open. What a boon to thieves
that would be.

Yeah.  That thief locked *inside* your gun cabinet finds that *inside* handle
really convenient.  Of course, if the thief is *outside* the locked cabinet,
and the guns are *inside*, unloaded, and the cabinet securely locked, that
inside handle isn't going to help much.

Oh, a HANDLE INSIDE the safe, which would somehow over-ride the lock
on the outside of the safe allowing it to turn and open. I suppose its
doable, maybe, that's not my field of expertise. I would bet that it
adds a lot to the expense of the cabinet however, and since they're
already pricey it may also prevent some poor slob from being able to
afford one and thereby saving his stupid kid from shooting himself or
shooting his friend and winding up in prison his whole life, unable to
repopulate.... wait a minute. I'm a convert! Lets do it!!

Not that it matters to you, your guns are all sitting around the house loaded,
where the thief doesn't have to worry about a locked cabinet.

"Beware of attack cats" sign is prominently affixed to my front door.