funsec mailing list archives

Re: Boy, 10, gets locked in gun safe at Sam's Club

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 14:37:21 -0400

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 12:59:08 CDT, Brian Loe said:
On 8/14/07, Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu <Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu> wrote:

Umm.. I see no mention of anybody writing a ticket to anybody in the actual
article.  And my copy of Firefox's "find" function doesn't find the string
'icket' anywhere in the page.

There was no mention of a ticket.

Except the one *you* made:

Of course it was Sam's Club's fault - why would anyone write a ticket for
the mother?

You want to drag in references to things not mentioned in the article, expect
to be asked where they came from...

There *is* a mention of the fire department ordering the safes be taken off
the sales floor, which seems reasonable.  For all your talk of parents
abdicating their responsibilities, at least the fire department realizes
that children *will* run off in the split-second the parental's back is turned
and they *will* try stunts like that. The legal term for it is "attractive
nuisance".

I have two children who are not allowed to "run off". How many
children do you have and how often do they "run off"?

The question isn't how well behaved *my* kids are, but what people who have
to deal with *other* people's kids should accept as reality.  Yes, *your*
kids may be "stand at military attention and speak only when directy addressed".

But the store manager has to allow for the fact that there are *many* different
parenting styles and not all of the kids that come into the store will be
perfectly behaved.

My guess is that if you do have children they wouldn't last long in my
house, if not because I would beat them senseless for being
disrespectful cretins

The store manager doesn't have that option.  The world is as it is, not as
you would prefer it to be.

And this is the problem with the legal system these days. People like
you gave us the warning signs on everything from folding ladders to
McDonald's coffee. Excuse me if I find my intelligence insulted by
such things - and feel sorry for the company, not the idiot who won a
lawsuit for being stupid.

Given the number of people who look at that McDonald's suit and ask "Geez,
how much damage can a cup of coffee do that she's entitled to all that money?"
a lot of people *don't* realize the severe burn hazard associated with water
at that temperature.

The average person will say "Well, yeah, it's *hot*". They realize that it
can probably cause a first degree burn.  Most people don't realize it can even
cause 3rd degree burns.

As for harm, I have no doubt this boy is now scarred for life emotionally.

So what?  He learned his lesson, and won't do it again. By your standpoint,
that's OK, because we didn't make anybody have to look out for that kid
except the parents.

Yeah, no brainer. Just what I want on my safe - any safe - the ability
to simply pull on the handle and have it open. What a boon to thieves
that would be.

Yeah.  That thief locked *inside* your gun cabinet finds that *inside* handle
really convenient.  Of course, if the thief is *outside* the locked cabinet,
and the guns are *inside*, unloaded, and the cabinet securely locked, that
inside handle isn't going to help much.

Not that it matters to you, your guns are all sitting around the house loaded,
where the thief doesn't have to worry about a locked cabinet.