funsec mailing list archives

Re: Boy, 10, gets locked in gun safe at Sam's Club

From: John Forrister <John () segfault com>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 11:40:13 -0700

rms () computerbytesman com wrote:
I don't know if there will be lawsuits or not.  Regardless, Sam Club's has
a major security problem if a 10-year kid can get into their gun safe.

Richard

Most of the display safes I've seen, particularly those with electronic
locks, have simple to guess combinations, generally 1-2-3-4-5 or
similar; and the combinations are often written down and taped to the
display model itself.  This is helpful to buyers who want to look in the
safes, get a feel for how the locking mechanisms operate, etc.

If I were in a similar situation as the store manager, basics steps I'd
follow would be:

1)  Call emergency crews
2)  Call locksmith/safe expert
3)  Have an employee locate a parent / child pair of shoppers of similar
age to the one locked in the safe and ask the child for assistance in
opening the safe.
4)  Have an employee looking for the packing materials & manual for the
floor model, which presumably would have the combination written down
in/near it.  Assuming the combo wasn't physically attached to the safe
somewhere.

Parenting issues aside, a minimum of planning and common sense on the
part of the store management would have prevented the whole media circus...

-John