funsec mailing list archives

Re: wow - is a "shadow" politician still a politician?

From: "Brian Loe" <knobdy () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 09:49:55 -0500

On 8/29/07, Brian Loe <knobdy () gmail com> wrote:

Got a link to this law?

I've never understood the value of a defensive weapon locked in a safe
or stored at a club...but maybe thats just me.

I've decided to do a quick bit of research on my own:

http://www.marplerifleandpistolclub.org.uk/general/gunlaw.htm - no
mention of pistols, seems the "types" they're discussing are shotguns
and air guns, though I suppose the "firearm" certificate could apply
to a centerfire rifle.

http://www.ukgundealer.com/rules.htm - so you can purchase a rifle or
a shotgun but you must show a "need" that doesn't involve self-defense
or inalienable rights. Once you have permission you must store the
firearms in a safe, and store your ammunition separately. Definitely
not useful for defensive purposes - but it does provide a burglar, who
has no reason to NOT break into your home while you're there, the
opportunity to coerce you into giving the guns up, at the point of
their illegal gun.

Wikipedia has a pretty good entry as well but just supports these two
links - and has links to, it looks like, several of the laws. I'm not
that energetic yet this morning so I won't be reading the laws
themselves.