funsec mailing list archives

Re: Where's Waldo? (challenge)

From: sam stover <sam.stover () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2007 09:07:45 -0400

I don't think so.  I actually haven't seen any solutions to the problem
as propounded.  All the "solutions" I've seen don't prove anything to
anyone until after the "proof" recipient has found Waldo - this may
have been acceptable by the intent of the original author of the
problem, but it's sure not how I read the wording.

Note that this is completely independent of whether the other person
can be trusted to not peek.  If peeking makes a difference, then I
don't consider it a valid answer to the challenge posed, because it
means that the purported solution does indeed give away information.

I think I see what you are saying, but let me put it into (my) words
just so we're on the same page.

You are saying that we need to convey information DIRECTLY to the
competition that proves we have an answer, but doesn't help them solve
the problem.  My solutions INDIRECTLY passed information (i.e. the
answer) to the competition in a timestamped format that proved I knew
the answer, but when read would give the answer.

So, we need to come up with a way to present information to the
competition that proves (when read), that we know the answer, without
giving away the answer?

Yeah, that's a tougher nut.  I read it that we needed to come up with a
way to prove, but at a later date.  OK - back to the drawing board...

--
S.f.Stover
http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x15FFC42A