funsec mailing list archives

Re: Where's Waldo? (challenge)

From: "Dude VanWinkle" <dudevanwinkle () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2007 12:21:59 -0400

On 6/6/07, Brian Loe <knobdy () gmail com> wrote:
On 6/6/07, Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu <Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu> wrote:

> Again, that's a case of "You give information up front that later allows you
> to show that you did know where Waldo is".  Until the person gives up, they
> can't *verify* that you knew where Waldo was. The question is "give sufficient
> info so that they can verify *now* that *you* know where it is, *without*
> giving away the location.
>
> You've given them a sealed envelope that you claim contains a picture of
> the kidnap victim.  That's different from giving them a picture they
> can clearly see and verify.

Okay, nevermind, I give up. I thought this had something to do with
anything and was wrong.

I will go on record as saying I believe it to be impossble to do
because short of showing your opponent where Waldo is there's no way
of him KNOWING you know where Waldo is.

what if you had a picture taken while holding both a cut-out of Waldo,
and today's paper in addition to the ransom note demanding 12 million
dollars for Waldo's safe return?