funsec mailing list archives

Re: Where's Waldo? (challenge)

From: sam stover <sam.stover () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2007 14:32:35 -0400

Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu wrote:
Date sent:           Sun, 03 Jun 2007 16:35:10 -0400
From:                sam stover <sam.stover () gmail com>

But how much do you trust your friend?  You could always encrypt a file
(with any/all pertinent details) w/ his public key, send it to him, and
he could open it when he is "ready" to see if you knew the answer.
How about encrypting the answer with a key, said key derived from the location
of Waldo ...

But that doesn't meet the requirement. If the answer is encrypted, I can't
verify that you actually KNOW the answer and didn't just encrypt a random
string with a random key.

But again, it comes down to trust.  If I send you a file, I have
timestamped proof of when I sent it, but I have to trust you not to read
it.  If I encrypt it, I still have timestamped proof of when I sent it,
but also an encryption "escrow" in case I don't trust you - but then I
have to go to your house and decrypt the message for you.

But again, this is dependent upon some degree of trust, unlike the
kidnapper scenario.  But based on the "Where's Waldo"ishness of the
thread, I figure my answer works among friends.

--
S.f.Stover
http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x15FFC42A