funsec mailing list archives

Re: Canadian revolution

From: der Mouse <mouse () rodents montreal qc ca>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 20:08:13 -0400 (EDT)

In the sense that religious people use the word, [faith] means
belief in something with no actual evidence.
I'd say, rather, no objective evidence.  My own religious faith, for
example, is based on and informed by ample evidence - but it's all
entirely subjective, not anything I can demonstrate to anyone else.
Right - your imaginary friend told you so.

Actually, no, not anything I was "told" by anyone, imaginary or not.
Purely experiential and perceptual - totally subjective, but not
anything for whicn any form of "tell" is appropriate.

Look - what you're calling "evidence" wouldn't be admissible in a
scientific paper, wouldn't be admissible in a court of law, and would
only be admissible in a church.

Don't you think that tells you something?

Yes, indeed it does.  Let's take it a piece at a time.

wouldn't be admissible in a scientific paper

This tells me that you aren't keeping up with current scientific work.
See the Science News of 2006-09-30, page 214ff, or presumably - I've
not checked personally - the various publications it refers to.

wouldn't be admissible in a court of law

Even assuming you're correct (which I'm not convinced of but have no
particular inclination to dispute), this tells me only that courts of
law are for the most part not interested in matters of religious belief
(they *are* interested in subjective evidence when it bears on the
matter before the court; consider eyewitness testimony, or awards for
"pain and suffering").

would only be admissible in a church.

It's not clear what you mean here; your "only" is ambiguously placed.
Do you mean it's admissible only in a church (nowhere else), or only it
(nothing else) is admissible in a church, or what?  The former is
falsified by all of the other contexts in which religion and religious
experience is of interest, from informal conversations to the paper I
referred to to other (non-church) religious institutions; the latter is
falsified by many of the other things churches do pay attention to,
from knowledge of ritual forms to assorted legal documents.

/~\ The ASCII                           der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML               mouse () rodents montreal qc ca