funsec mailing list archives

Re: Canadian revolution

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 17:17:31 +0100 (BST)

On Wed, 25 Oct 2006, Brian Loe wrote:

On 10/25/06, Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com> wrote:

Sadly, that's what happens. You pass laws based on what your imaginary
friend told you, which I then have to comply with. You distort the
education of my children by having compulsory superstition classes in
schools, and you fight wars, in which I get caught up, in order to spread
your superstitions. Most of what is happening in Iraq today, for example,
seems to be one lot of superstitions fighting another lot, with our
soldiers caught in the middle of that, wondering what on earth they're
supposed to be doing there.

That is some hate you've got for religion.

Righteous indignation, rather than hate. And I'm certainly willing to
forgive anyone who abjures their superstitious ways and gets their shit
together. Hate the sin, not the sinner.

Maybe you haven't lived to see the Catholic/Protestant war in Nothern
Ireland, or the "ethnic cleansing" of Muslims in the Balkans, or the
Sunni/Shia war currently in Iraq, or the Israel/Palestine war that's been
rumbling along for 60 years now. Religions aren't the only reason why
people go to war, but a difference in opinion about who is the correct
imaginary friend, seems to me to be the most lunatic reason possible.

Currently, we're having a debate in England about faith schools (schools
run by a group of people who share the same imaginary friend and who want
to fill their children's heads with the same nonsense), and whether they
should be required to admit 25% of non-believers.

My contribution to this is that these superstition schools should not be
allowed to discriminate on grounds of race, ethnicity or religion, which
is the law here for any other organisation.  Why should superstition
schools be given a free ride?

And furthermore - why do we require truth in advertising, except for
religious organisations? If you claim that your cream will reduce
wrinkles, you have to prove it (or at least show good experimanetal
evidence), but if you claim that your superstition will make you live for
ever, you're allowed to get away with it.

Why do we give tax breaks to organisations like Scientology (which, as far
as I can see, is a religion designed entirely to fleece its members). Why
do we allow organisations like the Catholic Church to get away with hiding
pedophiles, without the organisation being prosecuted for aiding and
abetting this crime?

Some people might see major distinctions between all these thousands of
religions, and some might even think that one of them is the One True
Faith, but all I see is a difference of opinion on who is the correct
imaginary friend, or on the best way to talk to him, or on what he said in
his imaginary conversation with someone several hundred years ago, and the
conflict that this engenders is as absurd as a war over which side of the
egg you should open when starting a boiled egg, the big end or the little
end.

Read "The God Delusion", by Richard Dawkins for more details. He says it
quite well.