funsec mailing list archives

Re: Canadian revolution

From: "David Lodge" <dave () cirt net>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 06:58:32 +0100

On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 05:22:09 +0100, der Mouse <mouse () rodents montreal qc ca> wrote:
Every religion feels that if you don't believe in their "God" that
you're going to some form of "Hell".
This is not true, actually.  Some religions don't have any kind of
hell.  Some don't have a singular God; some don't even have anything
it's fair to call a "god" at all.  (Examples: Wicca; Shinto; Buddhism;
assorted others.  http://www.religioustolerance.org/ is worth a
look-in.)

Actually I think I'd go a bit further and say that only the Abrahamic religions (Judism, Christianity, Islam, Mandaeism, Baha'i, which to me are all the same religion, just with minor differences) have this concept. Most seem to be pretty ambiguous on what happens after death.

In your above examples you could argue about whether they have a deity or not - Wicca does have the Earth mother and is strongly based on older polytheistic religions (even though it's only 50 years old). Shinto is more pantheist, but some of the greater Kami (e.g. Ameratseru) were raised to the level of deities - so you could argue that they're polytheistic (then again I argue that Catholicism is a polytheistic religion - they deify anything).

Personally, I'm somewhere between a pantheist and a polytheist, so as far as I'm concerned all religions are correct, for a certain value of correct.

I know, when I die I'm going to be picked up by big breasted Valkyries and taken off to drink beer for eternity - now that's a good after life policy :-)

dave