funsec mailing list archives

RE: FW: Windows Live and Privacy

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2006 22:05:37 +0000 (GMT)

On Mon, 4 Dec 2006, Larry Seltzer wrote:

Also, if you are well known, you are a public figure and dont have any
control over what pictures are taken of you and dont have much control
over what people say about you.

Hey, everyone knows Dr. Solomon

I doubt if you could find more than one person in a million who knows me.

Interesting story. THis happened about 16 years ago, when Dr SOlomon's
Antivirus Toolkit" was the premier product in many countries.

I went to my 10-yo daughter's school pantomime, which was very good. As we
left afterwards, a little gorl came up to me and said "I know who you
are!"  "Ah," I said, preening a bit, even an under-10 kid know me!

"You're Angela's dad."

Ever since then, it's been a family joke, whenever I get a bit big-headed,
I get reminded who I am. "You're Angela's dad".

Epilogue.

So, when Angela graduated, we went down to her uni as proud parents to
watch the ceremonies and congratulate her. Afterwards, there was a
cheese-and-wine do at the English Literature faculty, and she dragged us
along to that, too. And a guy came up to me at the party, and said "I know
who you are". Yeah, yeah, I thought, been there, done that, I'm Angela's
Dad. "You're Dr Solomon, wrote the Antivirus Toolkit". Apparently, he'd
been one of the people who resold the software to end-users.