funsec mailing list archives

Re: FW: Windows Live and Privacy

From: "Brian Loe" <knobdy () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2006 11:19:59 -0600

On 12/5/06, Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah
<rMslade () shaw ca> wrote:
You're both right--but, of course, you're talking about different things.

Alan is talking about copyright, Brian, and he is perfectly correct, even in the US.
There are plenty of instances of companies that are very vigorous in enforcing
their IP rights, going so far as to ban photography of certain areas or items.

Brian, you're talking privacy, and those issues do differ substantially.  Another
poster noted that you can request video footage from surveillance cameras in the
UK, and figured that it was basically the same thing as was going on with
Microsoft, only Microsoft was more convenient.  I think it is, which is why I will
be very interested to see what happens when MS tries to film in Canada.  We've
been much more restrictive in terms of surveillance cameras.  In BC, there is a
certain area of Vancouver where the store owners have been trying to get the
police to put in surveillance cameras, and the courts have said no way.  (In
another city, the store owners have been able to get the police to put up cameras.
The courts have [twice, if I recall correctly] told the cops to take the cameras
down, but so far they are still operating.)

I'm still talking copyright law. I have spent a little time
photographing the building of the new IRS, H&R Block and Sprint
(stadium?) here in downtown KC. No one has even looked twice at me.
I'm also hoping to someday to a rooftop photography project, with the
subjects being buildings. I've seen THOUSANDS of photographs SOLD
COMMERCIALLY of the sculptures on top of the convention center
(http://www.kcconvention.com/). No laws have been broken, no
copyrights infringed (and no Solly, the sculptor was not paid for
those photographs of his work - nor is any other sculptor that I've
ever heard of - and, in case you didn't know it, KC is one of the
largest Art markets in the states and my gay uncle owns a very popular
gallery here so I've spent some time in the environment).

As for privacy rights: you do not have a RIGHT to privacy in PUBLIC
areas, any more than you have a right to be free of other people's
opinions. PERIOD.