funsec mailing list archives

Re: FW: Windows Live and Privacy

From: "Brian Loe" <knobdy () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2006 14:58:45 -0600

On 12/5/06, Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com> wrote:

I disagree. The copyright was infringed. What I thnk you mean, is that the
copyright was not enforced, and the pirate was not sued in the civil
courts.

You're simply wrong. I can not explain it any better. The ONLY way
this could possibly be an issue otherwise is, as with a painting, you
copy it and pass if off as that artist's work. That's forgery and not
a copyright issue. Someone dressing and looking and, god forbid,
acting like you isn't illegal (people do it all the time - 500 Elvi in
Vegas!) but if they try and pass themselves off as you then it is, but
again, not a copyright violation.

I'm not asking for a right to privacy in public areas. I'm asking for my
intellectual property to be respected and not infringed. What would you
say if someone sat in the middle of Central Park and made copies of
Microsoft Windows? It's infringement of copyright, even though it's being
done in a public place.

Oooh...fatal error. You do not OWN MS Windows - only Microsoft does.
You have a copy and a LICENSE to use that copy and that is all. What
is on that disc is not public, same as a bathroom in central park is
not.