funsec mailing list archives

Fwd: Re: FW: Windows Live and Privacy

From: "Brian Loe" <knobdy () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2006 10:57:42 -0600

A very good response didn't appear to make it to the list, so:

--- chris () loftyperch com wrote:

--- Randall M <randallm () fidmail com> wrote:

> An anonymous reader writes "Today as we were biking around our neighborhood
> in a small city we saw a strange vehicle slowly driving around. It appeared
> to be an SUV, bristling with cameras mounted on the roof, and pointing just
> about every possible direction. The first time we saw it, all we could see
> was that it had a sign on the side, something about Windows. The second
time
> we saw it, we stared at it so hard that the driver stopped and we had a
> chance to ask him what it was all about. He said he was driving around,
> filming streets, and that there were people doing this all over the world,
> and getting data from the air too. It was going to be available on the Web.
> I asked him if this was Microsoft's answer to Google Earth, and he
indicated
> that it was. There seems to be very little about this on the Web, and I
> found no mention of Microsoft's collection of this sort of detailed street
> level data. The Windows site appears to be http://preview.local.live.com/,
> although since I use a Mac it didn't work properly. I'm not sure I want my
> neighborhood viewable on the Web from ground level. And are they going to
> edit all the people out? I don't see how they could."

This is the basic issue of privacy in the modern world, anyone not paying
attention needs to adjust their world-view.  People who focus on this type of
thing should not be naive about it (I assume this list is primarily industry
folks ?).  When even we pretend (?) to be surprised about it, it is an
interesting indicator of the state of awareness of the general public, but it
changes nothing.

Anyone can point a webcam out their window and stream it to the web.  Anyone
can take a digital picture of anything and post it to a site.  Anyone can
take
a digital video of anything and post it on Youtube et al.  It's the "Globe as
Small Town" phenomenon (anyone live in a small town?  How private is your
front
yard?).

The inside of your home is and should be your private space.  If you want
your
front yard private, plant a row of big evergreens, and don't trim the lower
branches.

-welcome to the world!

-chris

NO

Chris Blask
Founder and CEO

Lofty Perch Inc

A ship in port is safe, but that is not what ships are for. Sail out to sea
and do new things. - Admiral Grace Hopper, Computer Pioneer

1231 King Street West
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
M6K 1G6
+1 416 358 9885