funsec mailing list archives

Re: BEER THREAD!! been a year? [was: Re: Blatant plug for talent: We're hiring]

From: "Brian Loe" <knobdy () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2006 12:01:34 -0600

On 11/3/06, Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk> wrote:
Brian Loe wrote:

> Finally, Budweiser and Bud Light are the best selling beers WORLD
> wide, not just in the US (according to them anyway - and I don't doubt
> it).

Yes, but we were talking about _quality_, not mass-market appeal.  The
latter is generally achieved by "weakening" strong flavours to make
them "less offensive" (as someone will be offended by any strong
flavour) and (at least in the US) adding sugar or other sweeteners.

Everywhere, it would seem. There are a lot of people out there that
don't REALLY like the taste of beer. They don't even like the taste of
mellowed American Pilsner - to the point of drinking it at a near
freezing temperature from a frosty mug.

I piss a lot of bartenders off by asking for a non-frosted pint glass
and then letting the beer from the tap breathe awhile before drinking
it. The downside of waiting is of course I get little head - which
bartenders around here try to avoid as well. Perhaps this thinking,
that even an inch of head is a rip-off, is why people dislike the
taste of beer so much. They've never actually tasted the beer! This
probably also has to do with the mindset of simply wishing to get
drunk and not really caring about how.