funsec mailing list archives

Re: BEER THREAD!! been a year? [was: Re: Blatant plug for talent: We're hiring]

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Sat, 04 Nov 2006 14:13:56 +1300

Brian Loe wrote:

Finally, Budweiser and Bud Light are the best selling beers WORLD
wide, not just in the US (according to them anyway - and I don't doubt
it).

Yes, but we were talking about _quality_, not mass-market appeal.  The
latter is generally achieved by "weakening" strong flavours to make
them "less offensive" (as someone will be offended by any strong
flavour) and (at least in the US) adding sugar or other sweeteners.

From this we can readily predict the characteristics of a hugely
popular "pilsner-styled" beer (like Bud) in a market like the US (or
heavily influenced by US media, advertising and other mechanisms of
imperializing popular culture).

Pilsner is supposed to be hoppy, but of course, many folk are offended
by the flavour of (most) hops, finding their sharp bitterness
unpleasant.  So a massively popular pilsner-styled beer will not be at
all hoppy.  As the other flavours in a pilsner tend to "assist" or
complement the hops and we've had to remove them to make the beer at
all widely acceptabe, there will be almost no other flavours.
Resulting prediction -- this will be a bland, slightly beer-flavoured,
possibly slightly sweet, pale-yellowish/gold fizzy beverage.

Does that sound like Bud?

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald