funsec mailing list archives

Re: EU Promotes Continent-Wide Censorship

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 22:38:15 +0100 (BST)

On Fri, 19 May 2006, Brian Loe wrote:

On 5/19/06, Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com> wrote:

Right. So, what's bad about the various countries of Europe, trying to
come to a concensus of what constitutes that crime?

Nothing - just stating the finer point in the difference between child
porn laws and censorship.

In practice, you don't allow people to work as prostitutes, you don't
allow adults aged 19 to drink alcohol - despite your constitution. But
we've already been over this, and it probably isn't productive to go
through it again.

That's different - those are BAD laws which run counter to our
Constitution and the inalienable rights of humans everywhere. We've
salted our freedoms with "decency" levels.

The whole point of a written constitution, is to prevent a government from
writing laws that contravene it. So, if (as you say) you have laws that
contravene your constitution, you must have a weak constitution.