funsec mailing list archives

Re: EU Promotes Continent-Wide Censorship

From: "Brian Loe" <knobdy () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 16:54:00 -0500

On 5/19/06, Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com> wrote:

Yes, you inherited that from us.

Yes, we borrowed a lot from you. Go figure.

You can have jury trials in civil cases. But the defendant can choose a
judge-only trial. Libel is a civil matter, not a criminal matter. The
prosecution is brought by the injured party, not by the public prosecutor.

You must be confused. As a defendant in either a criminal or civil
case I can have it heard by a jury or a judge. Also, the public
prosecutor is simply a paid lawyer for the injured party - the public
in most cases, a rape victim in another, etc.. No difference.

Libel and slander in the US is against the law. Its not censorship.
Oh, and we got quite of bit of that law from our cousins in the
British Empire as well. For instance, its not libel if its the truth
(a famous case I'm sure you were taught about).