funsec mailing list archives

Re: Get your computer viruses here!

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 00:17:31 +1300

Blue Boar to me:

Historically
the AV industry (and others) has continually faced the utter BS
suggestion that it is responsible for, if not writing, at least
releasing and distributung, viruses to "drum up business", etc.  This
has made responsible members of the AV industry _especially_ sensitive
to any sample sharing that does not have proper safeguards ensuring to
a very high degree of responsibility that shared samples will not get
into the hands of those imadequately prepared to handle them equally
conscientiously.

Indeed.  So... and I ask this in all sincerity and without sarcasm,
honestly... why should those of us not working for AV companies care
about that at all?  ("that" being the reputations of the AV companies.)

Ever heard the expression "tarred with the same brush"?

I mean, I understand why that might limit an AV company from giving me a
sample.  But if I have my own unfettered sample, AV company reputation
just doesn't enter into it, does it?

We (remember, I'm being presumptuous enough to speak as if for the
whole AV industry) are part of the security industry.  You, Val, some
of the wannabes hanging off this site, and _very many_ past and
existing malware writers, all also claim to be part of the security
industry (or at least "doing computer security research").  It gets
further complicated as some AV companies buy other (i.e. non-AV)
security companies or form various strategic alliances with them, etc,
etc, and the first "we couldn't care less" security company to buy an
AV company is in for a rude surprise...

It's not "them and us".  Whether you (or Val or whoever) likes it or
not, we're all more or less in the same boat here and your actions
reflect on "us" as ours reflect on you.  "We" would like the cowboy
part of "your" side of the equation to clean up its act.

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald