funsec mailing list archives

Re: Get your computer viruses here!

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 14:16:22 +1300

Blue Boar wrote:

val smith wrote:
I guess what you haven't convinced me of yet is how "malware" is any
different from any other object in existance which can be used for both
good or evil. I could stand on the corner selling rocks which people
could use to study or to bash someone over the head with. How is that
much different?

Again, not that I disapprove of your project in general, ...

Aside from that, I am in full support of what BB said in his post.

The project is morally indefensible, and, as Dr Solly has already said
several times, criminally negligent or otherwise illegal in very many
legislations.

... but I'm a
little disappointed that you don't see the differences between "malware"
and "tool".

This is so terribly obvious that I think it is mark of the ethical
development of any so-called "security researcher" whether they
understand this or not.  "skiddie-level" folk certainly do not
understand this almost certainly because their ethical development has
not progressed to the point where they _can_ (or, if they are well-
advanced past the normal age range where they should be able to
understand it, they probably have arrested or impaired ethical
development).  Failure of adults to comprehend this similarly suggests
arrested ethical development, so it is actually pointless trying to
debate the point with them, as like the skiddies, they are unable to
understand that their position is (or even could be) wrong.

-Malware has no good applications.  The definition is that it is
something you don't want running on your machine.  There are no good
uses for it.  Good guys need to analyze it, so once it exists they need
for it to be available to them, but they don't use it for its intended
purpose.

-Malware isn't like a vulnerability, technique or exploit.  Those
already existed, and were just waiting to be discovered.  Malware isn't
a problem and doesn't exist until someone creates it.  It's pure new
problem.

There's no beneficial use for malware, just a need to study it.

The only thing I'd add is that further, in the case of self-replicating
malware, the risk of it accidentally being spread further in the hands
of those ill-prepared for handling such code is great.  Historically
the AV industry (and others) has continually faced the utter BS
suggestion that it is responsible for, if not writing, at least
releasing and distributung, viruses to "drum up business", etc.  This
has made responsible members of the AV industry _especially_ sensitive
to any sample sharing that does not have proper safeguards ensuring to
a very high degree of responsibility that shared samples will not get
into the hands of those imadequately prepared to handle them equally
conscientiously.  Schemes such as that under discussion here clearly
abjectly fail such "tests", for even if there is a modest argument that
such standards are "too high" for most of today's, typically non-
replicative, malware this scheme makes no allowance for the
replicability of the malware it makes available.  When you start to
think about what would be involved in "fixing" that, you will quickly
recognize that the checks and balances thus needed to avert those
problems with replicative malware make the main purpose of this scheme
impossible to achieve, as avoiding such problems would require that
someone accepted by the community as sufficiently competent to make
such decisions would have to fully analyse each sample before only
putting the non-replicative ones up for "sharing".

So, Val's scheme, and all similarly hare-brained stupidities that have
come before it and that will inevitably follow it are doomed to severe
ethical castigation and repudiation by genuinely competent researchers.

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald