funsec mailing list archives

Re: Get your computer viruses here!

From: Blue Boar <BlueBoar () thievco com>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 12:10:52 -0800

val smith wrote:
I guess what you haven't convinced me of yet is how "malware" is any different from any other object in existance which can be used for both good or evil. I could stand on the corner selling rocks which people could use to study or to bash someone over the head with. How is that much different?

Again, not that I disapprove of your project in general, but I'm a little disappointed that you don't see the differences between "malware" and "tool".

-Malware has no good applications. The definition is that it is something you don't want running on your machine. There are no good uses for it. Good guys need to analyze it, so once it exists they need for it to be available to them, but they don't use it for its intended purpose.

-Malware isn't like a vulnerability, technique or exploit. Those already existed, and were just waiting to be discovered. Malware isn't a problem and doesn't exist until someone creates it. It's pure new problem.

There's no beneficial use for malware, just a need to study it.

                                                BB