funsec mailing list archives

Re: Get your computer viruses here!

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 20:44:54 +0000 (GMT)

This whole idea of publically available malware however is a "new" thing and
I guess it defies analogy.

Not very new. The first Virus Exchange (VX) was set up in 1989, in
Bulgaria, and I rather think that it helped the Dark Avenger (also out of
Bulgaria) get started.

In 1992, someone advertised in the computer press, a virus collection for
sale. He was raided by the police, under the Computer Misuse Act, 1991.

I don't actually see any difference between what you're doing, and that
first VX BBS or the virus collection for sale.

I do see the difference between malware and a tool (i hope) but the langauge
necessary to talk about this subject is hard and any comparison or anallogy
that can be drawn will be flawed.

All analogies can only be used so far.

I'd still be keen to see the legal opinion that you mentioned earlier -
could you scan it, and either email it or put it on your web site? Thanks.