funsec mailing list archives

RE: Re: Malware sharing? People are full of shit [was:Getyour computer viruses here!]

From: "Randy Abrams" <abrams () eset com>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 16:17:06 -0800

OK, how about using this list. There is already a degree of vetting.

Technical suggestions? If you don't have the resources to cool the reactor
then atomic power plants are a really bad idea :)

Seriously, I don't think there are 60k people who need to be vetted. I think
that a distribution network of trusted individuals works pretty well. There
are probably people who are not on this list, who are qualified to handle
malware, who have need, and who have good intent that also know people on
this list. Let people develop a trust relationship and obtain the samples
that way.

There are damned good doctors with a legitimate need for morphine. There are
people who have the knowledge to administer Morphine for good purposes and
competently, but they don't have access to it. They have to go through the
hoops to get legitimate access. There are criminals who deal morphine. Is
the fact that someone who might do good is denied access to morphine and bad
guys have access a reason to legalize it. I can think of other reasons to
legalize it, but not that one.

I don't know of a current technology to automate the vetting, and so I think
it is best to restrict access until that problem is solved. I commend you
for your intent, but I think your current proposed implementation should be
placed on hold pending viable safety mods, rather than sweeping up after the
spill.

Cheers,

Randy