funsec mailing list archives

Re: heinlein, a fascist? HOW DARE YOU??!!

From: Paul Vixie <paul () vix com>
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 00:40:56 +0000

Since this is funsec@, I'll bite.

# Well, OK, but to get to Heinlein you had to go past reactionary and hang a
# right, and on a clear day you could see Ayn Rand's place from his front
# porch ...

According to Requiem: Grumbles From Beyond the Grave, published posthumously
by his since-deceased wife, he was a vastly more complex person than any of
the characters in any of his books.  Also according to "Rah, Rah, R.A.H.!!"
by Spider Robinson, which I'm happy to report can be found online at:

        http://www.heinleinsociety.org/rah/works/articles/rahrahrah.html

I met Mr. Heinlein once, as a scared-to-death 13 year old boy standing in
a line at a sci-fi convention, in a full leg cast no less.  One look at the
flash of intelligence in his eyes told me that he was already far beyond
even his 4000-year-old Lazarus Long character in his insights into man,
into the universe, or into me.  He told me I was too young to donate blood,
which was his reason for signing autographs, but he signed one for me anyway.
I was of course thunderstuck, speechless, not just then, but that whole day.
(Spider Robinson's article (ibid) was written several years later.)

        "How shall we repay our debt to Robert Anson Heinlein?" (ibid)

If you assume that the man was anything like his characters, you're wasting
valuable time (yours, though, so whether it's valuable isn't up to me?)