funsec mailing list archives

Get your computer viruses here!

From: val smith <mvalsmith () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2005 22:11:38 -0700

Hi there, thanks for the interest in my site.

(Drsolly I was sad to not recieve any more replies from you, I had hoped to
keep dialogue open:( )

I pretty much agree with what Gadi stated and definitly the intention of the
site is white-hat. A simple google search will satisfy most peoples
blackhat/vx needs much better than my site ever could.

If you login and look around you will see a few things:

1.) It requires a login to access samples and the way its configured they
cant be downloaded automatically from worms, etc. (if someone finds a bug in
this let me know, ill fix it)
2.) Accesses are logged (limited usefulness) but its simple for me to turn
accounts / IP's off if I see a problem.
3.) You'll see the focus is on analysis, identification and signatures
rather than simply a malware distribution site
4.) I think im providing some useful services out there. I submit copies of
my samples/analysis to the A/V companies and others like ISC
5.) I've begun converstations with other projects to see how we can
collaborate (mwcollect, nepenthes, etc.)
6.) I don't develop malware (unless you count exploits as malware but I dont
distribute these here)

Thankfully the country I am in still allows free speech and this thing isn't
illegal according to my research and the opinion of lawyers I have spoken
with.

Gadi its true we dont know each other, however I think we have some friends
in common. I'd look forward to buying you a beer in Vegas this summer :)

Anyway I look forward to hearing more opinions, input and suggestions.
(contributions hopefully?)

V.