Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: [Clips] A small editorial about recent events. (fwd)

From: "Jamie C. Pole" <jpole () jcpa com>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 05:09:02 -0600

I don't see how that can be the case - 90% of the time, I am in these foreign countries at the request of their government. I am in an excellent position to make such comparisons.

I like Spain (and Russia, and Singapore) very much, but at the same time, shouldn't a Spaniard be concerned that their government is so willing to manufacture evidence in order to obtain a conviction? It scared the heck out of me! I'm not saying that law enforcement in the US (especially state & local, the Federal agencies to a lesser extent) doesn't ever do the same thing, but I have never experienced the level of nonchalance regarding falsifying evidence that I saw in Spain. I simply provided three anecdotes, and Spain was one of the ones that popped into my head. With the exception of Greece, I think I could have come up with at least one for every country I have worked in. Greece is almost paradise... :-)

There is no way that I can be accused of having "a total lack of information about anything that is outside the US". A significant portion of my career has been spent working and teaching outside the US. I'm also not one of the Americans that expects every foreign country to speak English. In many cases, I speak the language that is spoken in the country I'm working in. I'm definitely ashamed when I watch an indignant American treating a waiter or bellman (for example) poorly because he or she does not speak English.

My knowledge of these countries is direct, first hand. I didn't pop into a Barnes & Noble store to pick up a Fodor's Country Guide. In comparing all of the places I have lived and worked in, the USA would be my choice. I know that there are around a hundred or so countries that I have not visited, so I can't comment on them. Nor would I try.

Jamie