Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: [Clips] A small editorial about recent events. (fwd)

From: "Jamie C. Pole" <jpole () jcpa com>
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 22:55:13 -0600

Well, some of the more recent ones were as follows:

1) Singapore, where the Immigration card has "Drug Traffickers will be put to death" in big red letters on the back. When I was there, possession of chewing gum was also illegal, and categorized as a controlled substance. By the way, you can be fined or jailed for having a pool of standing water where mosquitos might breed.

2) Russia, where the militia (like city-wide police - not Federal) routinely beat and torture innocent suspects regardless of the severity of their supposed crimes. These same militia officers often pull over expensive cars in order to get the drivers to bribe them into not giving them a ticket for something they didn't even do.

3) Spain, where a Federal government investigator contested some of my forensic findings by stating "Si no existe la evidencia, la haremos para arriba. Cualquier manera, él es culpable." (Roughly, "Even if the evidence does not exist, we will make it up. He is going to be found guilty either way."). When the case went to court, that is exactly what they did.

There have been quite a few others, but those are some highlights...

Jamie