Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: a PGP signed mail? Has to be spam!

From: Peter Moody <peter () ucsc edu>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 18:41:00 -0800

Guys(and girls), the situation sucks. What do you think? And, most important
of all, do you see any way to fight this behaviour? Because honestly, I
don't.

I frequently get messages from virus filters telling me that my
attachment (signature.asc) has been removed as it's thought to contain a
virus.  For the virus end, it'll take time for people to start coding
proper virus scanners that don't recognize .asc as a virus.

As far as signed mail getting picked up by spam filters, I would think
that talking to the admins would be your best bet.  But again, in time
spam filters will recognize that pgp signature does not equal spam.

Regards,
-Peter

--
Peter Moody                             <peter () ucsc edu>
Information Security Administrator      831/459.5409