Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: a PGP signed mail? Has to be spam!

From: Chris Ruvolo <chris+fulldisc () ruvolo net>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 16:09:15 -0800

On Tue, Nov 11, 2003 at 08:54:11PM -0700, Michael Gale wrote:
For example look at this message - it have a PGP signature that my mail
client says it very good. It trusts it - but according to the PGP
signature this e-mail is from Bill Gates, from bill () microsoft com

Actually, it doesn't say anything for us.  You neglected to upload your
bogus public key to a keyserver or give us a key directly.

All too many people that post signed messages to mailing lists forget this
crucial step!  No one can validate your message unless they can get your
key!  (Attention hushmail users, this is for you.)

That said, I agree, having a valid signature doesn't make a message not
spam.  Having a valid signature from a *trusted* key is another story.  If
we can't retirive your key from a public keyserver, we can never figure out
if there is a trust path without asking you for a key first.  This doesn't
work.  Use the keyservers, people.

-Chris