IDS mailing list archives

RE: True definition of Intrusion Prevention

From: "Bohling James CONT JBC" <james.bohling () JBC JFCOM MIL>
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2004 15:08:02 -0500

I am sorry, but I do not agree with your position on prevention and
blocking.

Yes you are correct that
--"preventing an attack means that action has been taken to keep the
attack from happening and/or an attack is */prevented/* if it doesn't or
can't happen"--

However, look at what the term is semantically described: "Intrusion
Prevention" -- It is not Attack Prevention.

An attack is the action taken to attempt an intrusion; the intrusion is
the post-attack goal.  So if we look at that "chicken and egg scenario"
intrusion prevention can happen by blocking an attacker via IP,
application, port, protocol, etc.

That was my comment; this is my $.02 USD  : )

Yes, marketers (vendors) usually have an advantage with naming
conventions but so what; if customer (A) wants an intrusion blocking
device and customer (B) wants an intrusion prevention device then give
it to them.  We all know what the market is wanting in the IPS arena;
whether it is cohesive and/or Websters defined is not all that
important.  The IPS market wants more control over the IDS and more
active protection from the IDS in the form of blocking, reporting,
logging, dynamic scanning for IA Vulnerability, anomaly detection, and
etc.  This, even though not Websters certified, tells me that a marketer
(vendor) wants to sell this bundled and added functionality to the IDS
as an Intrusion Prevention Solution and in the same deck wants us
(security professionals) to design, code, QA, and implement it.  You are
never going to beat a top salesman in the sales dept. It's not what we
do.

ED, Joe, Paul,
        Just wanted to include you in on a discussion I have been
monitoring for a week or two on Security Focus.
Thank You,
James T. Bohling
Network Security Engineer - JBC CoE
(W) 757-638.4032
Web: www.jbc.jfcom.mil
This email was produced and manufactured in America, and is a
one-of-a-kind original.