IDS mailing list archives

Re: True definition of Intrusion Prevention

From: Frank Knobbe <frank () knobbe us>
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2004 16:15:34 -0600

On Sat, 2004-01-03 at 11:31, George Capehart wrote:
Firstly, this thread has confirmed my personal opinion that intrusion
prevention is not a very useful term and if we, as an industry take
that up as a holy grail, we will waste a *lot* of cycles and accomplish
little. [...]

Hey George,

thank you for steering the discussion in that direction :)

The same thread had disintegrated into a technical definition
championship on a different list at least once before. Yet the horse
keeps twitching.

Perhaps we can jointly bring it to the butcher (or soap-maker) and get
some use out of it. Let me throw a couple quotes back in from an email
of the past:

"We also acknowledge that Intrusion Prevention System is mostly a
marketing term. [...] Theoretically *any* countermeasure could be called
a Prevention system. A hardened OS prevents intrusions. [...]
Perhaps by discussion this down the right path we can show reasonably
well that the term is flawed, and perhaps through a collaborative paper
on the term of IPS we can convince the users/admins/buyers as well as
the vendors/market/industry to abandon use of that name...... Yeah, a
pipe dream.... but worth trying? If not, we don't even need to argue
here. Let's give our discussion a purpose or let it die."

.. which it won't apparently.

However, it seems that we have a couple vendors here in that discussion
that agree that this is a bad term. Perhaps we can encourage these
vendors to stop using the term. Perhaps the techies within <IDS-corp>
can lobby to management to abandon the term.

Thoughts?

Cheers,
Frank