IDS mailing list archives

Re: True definition of Intrusion Prevention

From: "Brad McGary" <bmcgary () secondfront net>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 14:12:31 -0600

I agree with your comments but would offer the thought process regarding the
structure of an attack scenario. Most attacks start with recon and end with
target specific exploits. I've been using a commercial version of Hogwash
for about two years and have significantly reduced the number of successful
attacks launched against our environments by preventing the more prolific
recon tools from returning target intelligence. As for the worm attacks
we've been relatively successful at stopping these since they mostly utilize
exploits which have mature snort signatures. In the end there's no panacea
and we see our share of false positives and false negatives I'm sure. Please
take these comments as just my specific experience and understand I
certainly don't want to engage in any heated debates.