IDS mailing list archives

Re: True definition of Intrusion Prevention

From: George Capehart <gwc () acm org>
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2004 10:56:56 -0500

On Friday 02 January 2004 09:41 am, Teicher, Mark (Mark) wrote:
<comments within>

<snip>

<Yes, that was the point, that marketing type people have blinded me
with their definition, that I am completely confused and dumbfounded>

*grin*  Well, then, I guess that disqualifies you from being a
Gartner-reading pointy-haired manager . . .  ;->

<snip>

<Prevention, my mother always told me always use "protection", but to
this day, I am not quite sure what she meant>\

Heh.  My dad used to tell me the same thing . . . but he made *really*
sure that I knew what he meant.  *wince*

<snip>

<The term "Intrusion Prevention" isn't clearly defined, as you have
observed, but "Intrusion Blocking" doesn't ring the ears like the
marketing folks what you to do"

Ah, yes!  *Now* I'm beginning to understand . . .

Don't get me wrong, I don't have a problem with "intrusion blocking"
if it is successful . . . that is, if the attack is detected in time
and the appropriate "blocking mechanisms" are available.  I'd just
rather call a duck a duck . . . ;-)  I think it is possible to build
an "intrusion blocking device."  Intrusion prevention is a process.
(Apologies to Bruce Schneier ;-)  )

<"Intrusion Prevention is a process??"  What kind of blocking
mechanisms are you referring to ??  I have never met a duck who
dabbles in information security, I have heard of a cat who swipes at
their owner when they program insecure code :)>

What I really had in mind when I said that was that, to me at least, if
there really could be such a thing as Intrusion Prevention (TM), that
sort of implies staying ahead of the attacker.  That is a process.  One
of the tools the process could/would use is "intrusion blocking."
Another thing the process would/could do is design and build systems
that don't have weaknesses that could be exploited in intrusion
attacks.  Another is to neutralize the attackers before they attack.
*All* of this, though is a process.  Preventing an intrusion by
blocking implies understanding the vulnerabilities of the system, the
corresponding attack vectors and putting layers of defense in place
that will either block outright or "defang" the attack.  But the world
isn't static, new vulnerabilities are exposed and new attacks are
concocted daily.  Staying on top of them takes constant effort and
implementing defenses and installing patches is an ongoing process.
This is why I feel that Intrusion Prevention (TM) is a process . . .

<snip>

<what distinction??  The marketing folks created a term that no one
in the industry understands.  Blocking is often referring to as TCP
Shunning, but since this the New Year's day, why not start the year
off without falling off the soapbox :)>

*snicker* *snicker* *guffaw* *guffaw*

/g

BTW, a happy and prosperous New Year to all.